Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Surgery!

So for those of you that dont know, my dad has a kidney disease(i couldnt tell you the proper name of it!) that runs in the Durnan family. For awhile his kidney function has gotten lower and lower to the point that they were going to put him on the list for a transplant and he would have had to be put on dialysis. Well my step mom Jeannie wanted to see if she would possibly be a match for him so she could donate her kidney to him, but my dad wouldnt let her at first.. lol men! :] Well anywho, she got tested, had the same blood type and eventually turns out her kidney was a perfect match for him!
My grandma also needs a kidney transplant, and we just found out today at the hospital my uncle Larry was in the clear to donate his kidney to her!

So today was the surgery, Niels and I got to the Mayo Clinic really early this morning and watched them go off! After a few hours the doc came out, told us the transplant went well. While they were connecting everything to the new kidney in my dad, the kidney turned a blue color(not good), the doctor said it was very strange, so he took it back off and found a blood clot starting to form in one of the artery's. So then, he fixed that right away and gave him some blood thinners and the surgery carried on. Thank god the doctor caught the clot in time, otherwise it could have been an epic fail! So they are both in recovery now and doin good. Dad will be in the hospital till about friday, I hope his body and the kidney get along! lol


Something really cool that happened at the hospital today was my uncle Joe came to the hospital this morning in his military uniform cause he had came from work... And throughout the day so many people came up to him and shook his hand and told him thank you for his service, one lady even bought his lunch in the hospital cafiteria! It was awesome! I love to see that there are people out there that really do appriciate what these men and women do for our country. My family is a military family, I have about 4 close unlces and an aunt that serve and its nice to know people other than friends and family are thinkin of them!
Aunt Becky

Uncle Larry


Oh! Little Addison has been very active today too :]
Shes getting so big!

1 comment: